Thursday, July 10, 2008

Scripture

Every time we are expecting a child, Patrick and I memorize scripture together related to the pregnancy and childbirth. A friend of mine suggested this when we were expecting Aiden. As we were in the delivery room, Patrick read the scriptures we had memorized to me and several of those scriptures helped carry me through a wonderful, natural labor. We believe in praying over our little one, from the minute they are conceived. We begin with a new Scripture every Sunday, because Sunday is the day that our little one becomes a "week" older. Last week (week four) we began with this scripture:

Psalm 112:7-8

He will have no fear of bad news;
his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
His heart is secure, he will have no fear;
in the end he will look in triumph on his foes.

This week (five weeks) we are studying Exodus 23:25-26.

Worship the Lord your God and His blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you, and none will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will give you a full life span.

There is amazing power in the Word of God. It brings peace in troubled times. It is a balm to a hurting heart and a troubled soul. It is encouraging. It eases fear and worry. It amazes me how the same scripture can touch each of us so differently. Sometimes I think we, including myself, take the power of the Word of God and His promises way to lightly.

No comments: