Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fathers, Phones, and Feelings.

I'm at McDonald's for some alone time. That means I get to think, blog, and use the bathroom without help. It's nice! Yet, even when I'm here I'm thinking about my four sweethearts at home. I look through pictures and compose blog posts. I notice how much they've grown and want to remember exactly what they are doing at this stage in their lives.

I was getting ready to start blogging and I saw a Father and a young girl, probably about three. The girl was eating ice cream. The Dad was attached to his cell phone. The Dad was so intent on his phone that he didn't notice when the girl got up and walked away from their table. She played throughout the entire restaurant for about twenty minutes, on tables, in the floor, and headed for the door a couple of times until she saw me give her that "Mom look" that says, "that's a bad choice." She smiled, a beaming smile that said, "someone noticed me!" She crawled up next to her Dad again. Her getting back in her chair must of jarred something in him, because he did look up and acknowledge her presence for a brief second. Then, he went right back to his love affair with that non-feeling electronic device. Lest you think I'm being too harsh on this Father, I am twice as guilty of doing this to my own children. That's why this scenario made me so very sad, I saw myself. I'm just usually pretty good about not doing it in public to them. Usually.

Then, another Father and his daughter came in, she's probably about two. They both had an ice cream cone. He's sitting in front of me, completely unaware that his actions are about to be spread out on the internet for all to see. Unaware because there is nothing more important than talking to his little girl right now. She has him enraptured. I want to give him a "blog award" for being the best Dad I've seen today. He's reading her a book right now while she finishes her ice cream cone. It's heartwarming.

(Sidenote: I just got the cutest smile and wave from that second little girl! She is one happy thing!)

Ironically one of my pet peeves in life is when people ignore children. I hate it when adults believe they can be rude and ignore a talking child. I hate it when children are not considered in the life of a church or an organization. Children are so often seen as an after thought or a "problem" to be solved. Their care is not accounted for, isolating not only them, but their parents. Our children are not only our future, but they are our present. We must treat them with the respect and importance that God places on them.

Matthew 18:10 See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

Sometimes what we hate most in others is a reflection of our own sin.

Lord, help me to remember that my laptop cannot love. Remind me that you did not call me to "raise" my phone. Show me when I fall short and ignore my blessings You have given me. Help me to be the advocate You have called me to be for those that cannot stand tall enough to be heard for themselves. Amen.

No comments: